Make this colorful, healthful salad with whatever you have available – the recipe is only a guide. Use other vegetables in addition to or in place of the ones listed.
- 2 cups cubed, cooked chicken
- 1 cup cubed, cooked potatoes
- 3 cups raw, cut up vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, cherry tomatoes etc.
- 1/4 cup flavorful olives, sliced or chopped
- 1/4 cup cashews, preferably toasted
DRESSING (substitute bottled vinaigrette)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive or canola oil, or a mixture of the two
- Remove any skin and cut into small cubes, if you are using leftover cooked chicken
- Otherwise start by 8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, lightly salted (poach or pan grill) and cut them into cubes.
- Cut left over potatoes into cubes, or peel and dice 2 medium or 1 large potato, cover with lightly salted water in a small saucepan and cook until just barely tender, about 15 minutes and cool it down.
- Separate broccoli heads into bite-size florets.
- Peel the stalk and slice crosswise into coins
- Peel and dice the carrot
- Rinse the tomatoes and cut them as you prefer
- Chop the olives and toast the cashews briefly in a dry skillet until they just begin to color
- To make the vinaigrette: in a small bowl, mash the pressed or finely chopped garlic with the salt
- Stir in about 1 tablespoon of the oil and mix well
- Add the vinegar and the rest of the oil and a few grinds of pepper and mix them
- Mix them all and add about 1/2 cup vinaigrette
- Stir gently and add more dressing if you wish