Coconut oil also known as copra is the oil extracted from the kernel of a coconut. This oil contains approximately 90% saturated fat and 9% unsaturated fat and it contains mostly medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) which is not found in other saturated and unsaturated fats. Just like the olive oil and almond oil, it’s very much edible. Coconut oil is very popular in the kitchen and is also known for it’s many health and beauty benefits.
Coconut refers to entire coconut palm and the dupe otherwise known the fruit. It is botanically known as Cocos Nucifera. There are many uses of its different parts; the content of its meat and liquid varies as the dupe matures and it is the meat (the kernel inside the coconut) that is processed to give coconut oil when fully matured.
Coconut Oil Uses
1. Cooking and eating:
Coconut oil can be used in cooking on high heat, used on toast in place of butter, taking ordinarily with a spoonful, to fry eggs, popping popcorns, taking in place of vegetable oil for baking, and as some other food recipe.
2. Skin care and beauty:
Coconut oil can be used for cheekbone highlighter, shaving lotion, facial and body scrub, makeup remover, deodorant, lip balm or lip gross, massage oil, sexual lubricant, body moisturizer, fade age spot remover, diaper rash cream, sunburn care etc.
3. Hair care:
It can be use for your hair treatment against breakage and dandruff to leave you a healthy hair.
4. Health care uses:
Coconut oil can be used for other health care guide such as toothpaste, aromatherapy, wound care, metabolism booster, oil pulling, energizer, etc.
5. For animals:
It can be used in feeding and taking care of animals. You can feed your dog, cat and other domestic animals around you with it or mix it in their food for better looking fur.
Coconut oil Benefits
There various amazing benefits of coconut oil which has made it a luxury in the thrive market.
1. Coconut oil can improve digestion and reduces stomach ulcer: It improves digestion by helping the body to absorb fat-soluble vitamins, calcium and magnesium. It can also help to improve bacteria and gut health by killing the bad bacteria and Candida to decrease the stomach acid.
2. Coconut oil can help you burn more fat: It increases your energy expenditure and helps in burning out fat that might lead to obesity which is currently one of the biggest health problems in the world. The medium chain triglycerides in coconut have been proven to increase 24 hour energy expenditure by 5% potentially leading to significant weight loss.
3. Coconut oil can boost your immune system: The fatty acids and breakdown products in the oil kills harmful pathogens in the body. The lauric acid in a coconut oil kills bacteria, virus and fungi which prevents infections. It also forms a monglyceride known as monolaurin when it enzymatically digested. This also can kill the harmful pathogens.
4. Coconut oil reduces appetite: It has fatty acids that reduce appetite which can truly help you lose dangerous fat in your abdominal cavity and around your organs. It increases fat burning and help you lose weight if necessary. The exercise of losing significant amount of abdominal fat is simply by adding coconut oil to your diet.
5. Coconut oil prevents heart disease and high blood pressure: Coconut oil is a highly natural saturated fat which not only improves blood cholesterol levels (HDL) in your body but also helps to change the bad cholesterol to the good one. Increasing factors like Total, LDL and HDL in the body promotes heart health and reduces the risk of heart disease.
6. Coconut oil improves the health and appearance of the human hair and skin: Apart from edibility, coconut serves several other purposes such as making cosmetics for improving the health and appearance of your hair and skin. It protects the hair against damage, moistures skin and function as a sunscreen to the body. It can also be used as a mouthwash in oil pulling which improves dental health by killing some of the harmful bacteria in the mouth.
7. Coconut oil can improve memory and brain function: It boosts brain function in alzheimer’s patient and reduces seizures in epileptic children: Alzheimer’s disease primary occurs in elderly individuals that less ability the utilize glucose for energy in their brains. Reports have been made that the fatty acids in coconut oil increases the blood level of ketone bodies which provides an alternative energy source for the malfunctioning cells the brain and reduces symptoms of Alzheimer. The fatty acids in coconut oil which are turned into ketones can reduce seizures. It involves eating little large amount of fat with little carbohydrates thereby increasing the concentration of ketone bodies in the blood. This method of diet can also reduce the rate of seizures in epileptics.
8. Coconut oil prevents Osteoporosis: It has a high level of antioxidants which help free radical which is one of the biggest culprits of osteoporosis. It increases calcium absorption in the gut and decreases bone loss due to osteoporosis. Coconut oil is a natural treatment for osteoporosis.
9. Coconut oil prevents cancer, UTI and kidney infection and also protects the liver: Introduction of coconut oil prevents cancer from developing. It has some qualities like ketones that are produced during digestion and the MCFA’s which digest the lipid walls of bacteria that helps it fight cancer. It is believed that ketogenic diet is possible components that can help a cancer patient recover while the MCFA’s can kill the helicobacter pylori bacteria that has been known as increasing risk factor of stomach cancer. It is known to cure UTI (urinary) and kidney infections. The MCFA’s in the oil is a natural antibiotic for destroying the lipid coating on the bacteria. It directly protects the liver from damage.
10. Coconut oil can also slow aging: Coconut oil according to the researchers is discovered to give an anti-aging function. It improves anti-oxidation levels and can slow aging which is possible because it reduces stress on the liver and lowers oxidative stress. It can also be applied directly to the body for more benefits.
Coconut is a super food which can be used in different forms. Its oil is very versatile and as such has so many uses and benefits in the world.