No matter how busy you are, you can successfully achieve your fitness goals by giving your workouts a higher priority in daily schedule. In this section, you will find easy suggestions that will help you get an energetic and healthy routine while complementing your diet plan.
The exercises in the beginning are included to relieve stress and the rest are designed to help you lose weight. By learning to breathe properly, you will be increasing the effectiveness of every workout in the plan. The tension relieving workouts can make the breaks in your schedules more refreshing. Exercises from squats to lat pulldowns will help you strengthen and tone up body. Walking and stair climbing can most conveniently help you burn calories within your tight schedule.
All the weight loss exercises are designed in an easy to fit way for your schedules. You can increase the burnout of calories by fitting in 15 to 20 minutes sessions of workout.
Importance of breathing is vital to all exercises. The inflow of oxygen to all the body parts increases when you breathe properly and boosts your energy level. Breathing is not exercise to itself but a part of every exercise or rather every activity you perform in your routine.
- Place both hands on your stomach just below the waist and inhale slowly and evenly through your nose from the diaphragm. Feel your stomach distend as the diaphragm expands. Take care not to move your chest and shoulders.
- Exhale slowly and evenly. Feel your stomach shrinking as your diaphragm contracts. As in step I, remember to resist moving your chest and shoulders.
Stretching at work
If you spend much of time in office, sitting at your desk, you are prone to sit all day in slouching posture and develop backache, fatigue and sense of failure if you cannot complete tasks within time. This stretch exercise will boost your energy level and your feelings of failure will vanish, leaving you ready to fight again.
- Stand up straight wit feet together, inhale deeply and throw your arms above your head with palms facing.
- Keep your shoulders down and your head centered between you’re your arms.
- Exhale and hold briefly.
- Cross your arms, hold onto your elbows and push your elbows behind your ears.
- Inhale and as you exhale stretch over to the left from form the waist with hips and feet forward.
- Breathe normally and hold briefly. Inhale and return to the center again.
- Exhale and stretch over to the right in the same way. Breathe normally.
- Then, with your back straight, extend your spine forward.
- Relax down by breathing more deeply and bring your head towards your knees. Close your eyes, holding for 10 seconds. Inhale and return to the start position.
Releasing tension in Neck and Shoulders
The space in the offices is often limited. As you work sitting in cubicles or small offices all day long, your eyes, jaws, neck and shoulders are likely to be tensed. This workout will help you relieve your nervous system and get you ready to counter rest of the work. You need to breathe deeply as the movements make your nervous system relaxed.
- Sit on a chair and cross your legs at the ankles. Sit up tall and clasp your hands behind your neck. Open out your elbows in line with your shoulders and push your shoulder blades down.
- Inhale deeply and slowly bring your elbows together. Exhale and return your elbows in line with shoulder blades. Remember to keep your head straight in line with your neck and shoulders. Repeat these movements twice.
- Now look upward as high as possible without tilting backward. Inhale and bring your elbows together as before. Drop your head back and as you exhale, open the elbows as much as possible. Open your mouth to release your jaw and then close. Repeat this jaw movement twice and return to beginning position.
- Now release your arms and continue to sit upright.
- Rub your hands together to generate heat and blow into your palms.
- Place both your palms over your eyes. This soothes the eyes and helps reduce pounding headaches.
- Breathe deeply and hold for as long as you can.
Almost all experts are agreed to suggest you the squats to make you healthy and strong. So you must not miss this exercise. Your glutes, hamstrings, quads and calves are all worked out simultaneously during this exercise program. Here is how you can do it correctly.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, your toes should be facing straight ahead or pointing slightly outward.
- Bend your knees slowly and lower hips towards the floor, be careful to keep your torso straight and pull in abdomen tightly.
- Your knees and toes should be pointing in same direction.
- Move to sitting position till knees are making 90 degrees angle.
- You should complete at least 12 reps and do squats on alternate days during a week.
Push-up is compound exercise which uses almost all the muscles of your body including chest, shoulders, triceps, back and abs. Therefore you can burn many calories while strengthening your muscles.
- Balance yourself on your toes and hands in a facedown position. Place your hands on the floor such that they are wider than shoulders and straighten your body in line from head to toe. Be careful and don’t let yourself sag in the middle or let your butt go up in the air. Now you are in right position.
- Bend your arms slowly, thus lowering your body to the floor till your elbows are at 90 degrees.
Exhale now and push back your body using your arms.
- You can use variations in push-ups using inclined or declined surfaces and wall push-ups.
- Improve your stamina by adding a rep each time and do this exercise every alternate day.
Lunges workout most of your lower body and tone up the muscles in your legs. Your quads, hamstrings, glutes and calves are used in this exercise. Here is how you can do the exercise correctly.
- Start standing with your right foot forward and left foot back at position of 3 feet apart.
- Bend knees till they are at 90 degrees angle while keeping the front knee behind the toes. Be sure that you get low straight down rather than forward.
- Push back up very slowly to starting position. Be careful to keep the weight in your heels.
- You should take care not to lock your knees as you stand and don’t bend knee past your toes.
- You can do this exercise on alternate days and try the variations of front lunges, back lunges and side lunges.
The plank is one of greatest exercises to build stamina of abs and back muscles. This exercise works out your arms, back, legs and abdomen. It is one of good exercises of Yoga that targets your internal abdominal muscles.
- Place your palms flat on the mat and lie with your face down, elbows should be resting on floor.
- Push off the floor, raising up onto toes and resting on the elbows.
- Contract the abs while keeping your back straight and keep the body in a straight line from head to toes.
- Hold for 30-60 seconds and do 3 to 5 reps.
Crunch is the most common exercise for decreasing abdominal fat. Here is how you can do the exercise correctly.
- Lie down flat on your back with your knees bent and your feet on the floor.
- Hold your hands wherever you feel comfortable (on your chest or beside your head – just be sure you don’t pull on your head).
- The typical crunch is taught by instructing you to simply roll your upper torso forward. This is fine to start with.
- To increase the effectiveness of the crunch movement, push your chest and head up towards the ceiling pushing your lower back flat onto the floor.
- Your anatomy will automatically cause you to follow a crunching pattern.
- Trying to crunch up towards the ceiling will increase the tension on the abs.
- Hold at the top of the movement for a second and squeeze hard.
- Do not lift up into a sit-up as this works the hip flexors and can strain your back.
The lat pulldown is a great way to burn calories and strengthen your back. This exercise works on the major muscles of your back. Here is how you can do it correctly to burn maximum calories.
- Hold your position at the lat pulldown machine and hold the bar such that your grip is wider than shoulders and palms are outwards.
- Bend your elbows and pull your abs in. Lean back slightly and pull the bar down towards your chin.
- Do this exercise 2-3 times a week and use as much weight to complete 12-16 reps.
Walking is often recommended as part of a weight loss program. This is the most common activity that you usually perform. You can easily include it in your schedule. We have good news for you as you can walk at a moderate pace for 30-60 minutes and burn stored fat. If you cannot dedicate one hour walk daily then you can complete 60 minutes in short spurts of 10 or even 5 minutes. This means that you can burn extra fat with making a habit of parking your car in the farthest corner and walking to your office. If you achieve the goal of walking an hour a day, then you are cutting your risk of heart disease, breast cancer, colon cancer, diabetes and stroke.
As you climb stairs, the muscles of buttocks, quadriceps and legs are being utilized. This workout is an extreme activity for the leg muscles and good cardiovascular exercise.
Experts say that stair climbing is one of the best ways to burn calories and reduce body fat. Approximately 75 calories are burned in 15-20 minutes session of stair climbing. This activity makes the muscles of lower body and joints very strong and is associated with improvement in blood circulation. So you should avoid the elevator and go towards stairs in your daily routine and make this a habit.